Rawrcast Discussion Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Rawrcast Discussion Forums

A World of Warcraft Fan Podcast and Community

Rawr HomeRawr Home  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Jordan "Mr. NNJ" Johnson
Could WoW Become Microtransaction Base Free MMO? Icon_minitime10/21/2010, 11:29 pm by michaelpohara

» Blogs and Websites
Could WoW Become Microtransaction Base Free MMO? Icon_minitime8/24/2010, 10:04 pm by angelzhu

» Making the world self sufficient with clean energy resources
Could WoW Become Microtransaction Base Free MMO? Icon_minitime7/30/2010, 12:10 pm by KESTLER11

» Round Tables!
Could WoW Become Microtransaction Base Free MMO? Icon_minitime7/13/2010, 5:19 pm by Lahague

» Fury Warrior DPS Guide - By Kernave
Could WoW Become Microtransaction Base Free MMO? Icon_minitime7/4/2010, 6:23 pm by Kernave

» Death Knight starter kit
Could WoW Become Microtransaction Base Free MMO? Icon_minitime6/27/2010, 9:36 am by Eulixe

» iLive user interface
Could WoW Become Microtransaction Base Free MMO? Icon_minitime5/31/2010, 5:50 pm by iLive

» Dps or Strat? Whats the Problem Mr.Icc
Could WoW Become Microtransaction Base Free MMO? Icon_minitime5/8/2010, 11:21 am by jeebs

» Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening
Could WoW Become Microtransaction Base Free MMO? Icon_minitime5/1/2010, 12:01 pm by Pinnick

Our Sponsors

UGT-Servers.com

Woot Loots Could WoW Become Microtransaction Base Free MMO? Meetup_logo_1

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Could WoW Become Microtransaction Base Free MMO?

Go down 
+2
Trainwreck
Stumpalina
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Stumpalina
Host
Stumpalina

Could WoW Become Microtransaction Base Free MMO? Empty
PostSubject: Could WoW Become Microtransaction Base Free MMO?   Could WoW Become Microtransaction Base Free MMO? Icon_minitime7/8/2009, 12:03 am

- http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/07/warcraft/
article on wired.com

excerpt...
Sometimes, when subscription-based MMO games have run their course, they turn to a free-to-play, microtransaction-centric business model.
World of Warcraft is far from having run its course, but in a recent interview with Videogamer.com, game director Tom Chilton said that microtransactions aren’t off the table. “I certainly think it’s possible that we could do some kind of micro-transaction stuff,” he said in the interview.

How would you feel about WoW becoming a free based, microtransaction MMO?
Back to top Go down
http://rawrcast.com
Trainwreck
Listener
Trainwreck

PostSubject: Re: Could WoW Become Microtransaction Base Free MMO?   Could WoW Become Microtransaction Base Free MMO? Icon_minitime7/8/2009, 1:29 am

I believe that by the time Blizzard thinks that the subscription based business model is less profitable than the micro-transaction model I'll have moved on from WoW. They still make money by the boatload and unless some kind of black swan event happens it will be that way for years to come.
Back to top Go down
Kharne
Listener
Kharne

PostSubject: Re: Could WoW Become Microtransaction Base Free MMO?   Could WoW Become Microtransaction Base Free MMO? Icon_minitime7/8/2009, 8:14 am

I agree, Blizzard are making way more money now the any micro transaction based buisness model mmog, and being the best I don't see a reason to experiment with the biggest franchise they currently own.

I can see a better chance (but still unlikely) of a newer Bliz game testing the water with a micro transaction based release.
Back to top Go down
Herc
Listener
Herc

PostSubject: Re: Could WoW Become Microtransaction Base Free MMO?   Could WoW Become Microtransaction Base Free MMO? Icon_minitime7/8/2009, 7:12 pm

I think they may decide to go this route when they drop down to a couple million subscribers. So I doubt we'll see this anytime soon. After all, they're making plenty of money from microtransactions while currently charging a subscription fee.
Back to top Go down
http://hercmerc.wordpress.com/
Skullkrusher
Listener
Skullkrusher

PostSubject: Re: Could WoW Become Microtransaction Base Free MMO?   Could WoW Become Microtransaction Base Free MMO? Icon_minitime7/9/2009, 9:40 am

i hope not, cause if they drop it down to free...the quality of the game could be in jeopardy...cause if its free, they might not have expansions/ fix crap...etc etc...it would be lame i would say...but it wouldnt happen anyways unless they have another game gernating the same or more revenue
Back to top Go down
Osis
Listener
Osis

PostSubject: Re: Could WoW Become Microtransaction Base Free MMO?   Could WoW Become Microtransaction Base Free MMO? Icon_minitime7/13/2009, 5:23 pm

Yeah, I think the game would have to be on its last legs for them to switch. Not only is there a boatload of money still being made using this model, one of WoW's fundamental concepts is that people with real world money shouldn't be able to buy an advantage. That's why we haven't seen a Blizzard provided way of buying gold, and why they dropped the hammer on pay-to-use mods. It would be a complete paradigm shift in their operating philosophy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Could WoW Become Microtransaction Base Free MMO?   Could WoW Become Microtransaction Base Free MMO? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Rawrcast Discussion Forums :: The Show :: Discussion Topics-
Jump to: